Re: address@hidden: grep fontification problem]

From: Marcelo Toledo
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep fontification problem]
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 14:56:06 -0300

In 2004/04/05 we started a thread about highlighting grep buffer, the
code mentioned there uses the ansi codes of grep and activates the
`ansi-color-apply-on-region'.

This solution is partially acceptable, will work for most of the users,
but will fail for non GNU Grep, I cannot customize it in Emacs which is
bad in my opinion because may not look good in all displays and every
once grep changes their code, we have to make sure it will not break our
solution and it will still be highlighting correctly.

For some reason the solution nowadays looks pretty much confusing, it
uses the ansi codes generated from grep, doesn't activate ansi in the
region and the codes are stripped in the future.

In 26 Apr 2005 17:24:24 Stefan suggested something, but I can only
realize that we have been fighting against a wrong solution that we took
in the past.

Whatever is going on we have no complex highlight here so I don't see
why we should still stick with the ansi colors. This is turning the
source code complicated, longer, dependent and non-customizable in
Emacs.

--
Marcelo Toledo
address@hidden