read-directory-name

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: read-directory-name
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 20:20:45 -0500 (CDT)

The docstring and Elisp documentation of `read-directory-name' conflict.

Docstring:

  Default name to default-dirname if user exits with the same
  non-empty string that was inserted by this function.
  (If default-dirname is omitted, dir combined with initial is used,
  or just dir if initial is nil.)

Elisp manual:

   If both DEFAULT and INITIAL are `nil',
   this function uses the current buffer's default directory as
   substitute default, ignoring DIRECTORY.

>From the following ielm run it appears that the Elisp documentation is
still correct, even though the code and docstring have changed (on
April 23) since I checked all of this quite a while ago:

ELISP> default-directory
"~/"
ELISP> (read-directory-name "Directory: " "/etc/")
"~/"
ELISP>

To get the second line, I just presses RET with /etc/ in the
minibuffer.

Sincerely,

Luc.