Re: defvaralias

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: defvaralias
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 22:04:49 +0200

> The ChangeLog files say it was present in 21.1.
> If it were new in 22.1 then indeed we could change it painlessly now.

Luc's right. The first reference to defvaralias is:

  2001-10-04  Gerd Moellmann  <address@hidden>

        This adds `defvaralias' and `indirect-variable'.  Changes not
        directly related to this feature are there to gain the same
        performance again as before variable aliases.

and the previous entry on ChangeLog.9 is:

  2001-10-04  Gerd Moellmann  <address@hidden>

        * Branch for 21.1.

so it seems like Gerd branched for 21.1 and immediately afterwards
commited a bunch of things on the main trunk, `defvaralias' among
them.

It's a little weird, though. `defvaralias' is mentioned on
lisp\ChangeLog on 21.[1-4]:

  2001-05-20  Gerd Moellmann  <address@hidden>

        * font-lock.el (lisp-font-lock-keywords-1): Add `defvaralias'.

and the corresponding font-lock code indeed has:

  "(\\(def\\("
  ;; Function declarations.
  "\\(advice\\|varalias\\|alias\\|generic\\|macro\\*?\\|method\\|"
  [etc]

even when the function is not available.

And, from 21.2+, lisp\w32-fns.el has this:

  ;; Set system coding system initially from locale-coding-system.
  ;; In future, when defvaralias is available, this will become an alias.
  (set-w32-system-coding-system locale-coding-system)

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u