Re: Incompatible change without warning

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Incompatible change without warning
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:49:00 +1200

 > A function which was in the previous release of Emacs is now gone,
 > without ever being marked as obsolete in any released version of
 > Emacs. To me, this seems like a Bad Thing. What the function did, or
 > how external packages chose to use it, seem irrelevant.

The entry in subr.el suggested it was obsoleted in Emacs 19.32:

> (make-obsolete 'unfocus-frame "it does nothing." "19.32")

However, looking through the ChangeLogs, it looks like you are right.

On a related note, I see Juanma has obsoleted functions in subr.el without
a timestamp:

(define-obsolete-function-alias 'window-dot 'window-point)

I presume that should be:

(define-obsolete-function-alias 'window-dot 'window-point "22.1")

to make it easier to know when obsoletion really took place.

Nick