Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:46:39 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> And this is a small change.
>
> And - as any small change - causes a lot of discussion which
> takes away time from making the release.
>
>> - The most important problem: it's majorly buggy.
>
> And we can conclude by now that THERE ARE NO SMALL CHANGES.
>
> So far, it seems that the only user wanting this new feature
> is RMS, and it surely wasn't listed in FOR-RELEASE before it
> was added.

One thing we wanted to have done for release is to be able to enable
font-locking by default.  Richard considered the default behavior with
comments unsuitable for general use and tried changing that.

The question is whether we can come up with a good scheme not
requiring destabilizing changes that would address his concerns.

Personally, I would still want to see font-lock enabled by default for
22.1.  Since I don't use it myself, I am not in the position of
judging what kind of coloring and schemes people liking font locking
(and it would appear to be a large majority, particularly among
beginning users) would find acceptable, and what not.

I don't like the destabilizing prospects of the recent experiments,
and I don't like the prospect of having font-lock disabled by default
because we could not find settings with the current scheme that were
deemed generally acceptable.

The current experiments seem to indicate that the necessary changes to
sanely accommodate the scheme of Richard are too complicated for the
current point of time.

I don't think that this was obvious from the beginning.  At the
current point of time it would seem to be most sensible to me to scrap
the current attempts, record Stefan's proposal in TODO, and find
settings for the font locking of comments that work well on most
platforms (after all, faces _can_ specify colors depending on tty and
color scarcity) now.

If the results then are generally tolerable, font-locking can probably
be globally enabled for the next release.  If not, not.