Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 02:31:27 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:46:08 +0200
>
> Since we both read and write the files in question and use \n in the
> patterns for reading and writing, this affects us, and the natural
> consequence would be to recommend using the Windows conventions when
> unpacking.

In practice, I've found this method a nuisance: there's no single
standard on Windows regarding these issues, so EOL conversions
generally produce a mess.

> The error reports we get, however, are suggesting that exactly that
> makes Perl barf.  Maybe it has something to do with what compilation
> of Perl is used (Cygwin could be different?).

It could be.  And then there's more than one port of Perl, even more
than one non-Cygwin port.

> And also "makeinfo" seemingly formats junk when presented with DOS
> line endings, even though it is supposed to be a text tool.

Suggest to submit a bug report.  I made the Info reader cope with both
types of line endings long ago; perhaps it's high time makeinfo did
the same.

> I just don't get it, and that's why I am trying to see what others do.

When faced with a CVS client that adds gratuitous CR characters, I
usually convert them en masse with a tool similar to dos2unix, but one
that can process many files and preserve the time stamp of each one
(so that Make and other utilities are happy).  It's sometimes tedious,
but it works, especially if you have a shell like zsh which supports
recursive wildcards...