Re: mouse-face on mode-line and header-line

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: mouse-face on mode-line and header-line
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:59:09 +0300

>    Good improvement, but there is no reason to have two different faces
>    with different colors for the same purpose - highlighting text areas
>    under the mouse pointer.
>
> I believe there is, because the mode line has a different background face.
> I believe that the regular highlight face might be hard to see against
> the mode line background.

It is foreground/background color combination that can make text hard
to read.  Since both foreground and background colors are displayed
with `highlight' face on the mode line, there should be no problem
to see text highlighted under the mouse pointer on the mode line.

Using completely different color for the same action is too confusing.
If there is not enough contrast between adjacent highlighted and
active/inactive mode line areas, then the color of mode-line-highlight
could be adjusted to a darker color.  For example, replacing "DarkSeaGreen2"
used in `highlight' face with "DarkSeaGreen3" for `mode-line-highlight' face
on light backgrounds looks very good and makes highlighting of the mode line
very easy to notice, and at the same time preserves its visual association
with usual highlighting under the mouse pointer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/