Re: The MH-E repository

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: The MH-E repository
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:56:55 +0200

Bill Wohler <address@hidden> writes:

> Now that there is a separate lisp/mh-e directory, and all of the MH-E
> developers have signed papers and therefore should have write access or
> be able to get write access to the Emacs repository, I'd like to ask
> what folks think about moving the MH-E src module from SourceForge to
> gnu.org.

How many developers are involved?

Have they signed papers for MH-E only, or general past/future changes
for emacs as a whole?

In the "good ol' days", two projects on savannah.gnu.org could
trivially share modules with symbolic links, i.e. lisp/mh-e in
emacs CVS could just be a symbolic link to the MH-E CVS root.
IIRC, the url project was shared like that.

But these days, savannah is not an "open sandbox" anymore, so
symbolic links between projects are no longer possible.

I'm not sure what benefit you would actually get in terms of
sharing code by moving from sourceforce to gnu.org -- but
since MH-E is a gnu package, it seems natural to maintain
it on gnu.org.

> contrib, debian, htdocs, xemacs modules. These would remain on
> SourceForge.

Why?

> Subversion. SourceForge has plans to offer Subversion this year. Are
> there plans to move the Emacs repository to Subversion?

No, but perhaps savannah.gnu.org supports Subversion for other projects.