Re: [rant] Should reverting a buffer really discard undo history?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: [rant] Should reverting a buffer really discard undo history?
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:19:46 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > My ~/.emacs would have been saved had Emacs kept the buffer contents
  > > in undo history when reverting the file.  I'd like to if there is any
  > > way to enable this, and (if so) why Emacs does not do it by default.
  >
  > I have locally patched my Emacs to preserve undo info during revert, so
  > I completely agree it's desirable.  When I suggested the change it was
  > rejected (it's somewhere in the archive if you're interested, tho I can't
  > remember the thread title and not even when it took place, I'd say about
  > 2 years ago).
  >
  > Maybe having it as a (potentially buffer-local) option is a good idea.
  >
  > What do people think?

It would be nice.

Maybe other users have a different experience, but for me 99% of the
time I would like undo info after a revert is when revert was invoked
by VC/pcl-cvs after a commit.
So from this users point of view if VC/pcl-cvs were not to revert the
buffer, saving undo after revert would not be missed much.

        --dan