Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:49:13 +0900

On 6/7/05, Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:
>        (defcustom comint-mode-hook '(turn-on-font-lock)
>
>    Shouldn't we remove that?  Is it a desirable thing, nowadays,
>    for some modes to enable Font Lock on their own, instead of letting
>    the user do so if he wants?
>
> Unless Miles objects, I will install the following mini-patch to comint.el:

I have no idea.

If I recall correctly, the reason I added that is because I replaced
some previous ad-hoc highlighting code -- which was always turned on
-- with font-lock.

In Emacs 21, the behavior was that comint prompts were _always_
highlighted, but font-lock could be turned on to add other faces
(e.g., colorization of error messages).  When I changed the
prompt-highlighting code I turned on font-lock by default because
highlighted prompts were the previous default behavior, and I figured
the prompts were the most "important" part of comint highlighting.

So this patch would change the default appearance of comint prompts in
Emacs 22.  I don't know if the average user would be annoyed/confused
("my prompts disappeared!") or happy ("ah those evil colorized prompts
are gone!") by such a change.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.