Re: non-break-space in tutorial

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: non-break-space in tutorial
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:52:11 +0300

> This is your _opinion_, which I disagree with.  I think dIsplaying
> them with a modified background, if anything, looks worse, and is more
            =====================
> confusing to users than making them look like an "escape character",
> which is already a familiar concept.
>
> In your post, you said you had "taken everybody's opinion into
> account", which is clearly not true.  Despite the initial objections
> to your proposed changes, you simply went ahead and made them anyway.

Perhaps, you missed something.  It was your opinion about
unsuitability of a modified background that I've taken into account
before I started to think about a different solution.  I fully
agree with you that a modified background is a bad solution.
That's why I installed for people to try a completely different
patch which I think is much better than anything proposed so far.
A new solution puts the underline attribute on non-breaking spaces.
This appropriately reflects the purpose of non-breaking spaces
("gluing" words together) and is not as annoying as anything else.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/