Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:28:01 +0200

> though that'll probably be the latest release for many years to come
> if the feature freeze continues to be as successful as it has been
> over the last year.

A (distant) while back, it was proposed to fork for a release and let
people do new features' development on the trunk. Richard said that
wasn't OK because people would not concentrate on getting the release
out; the rationale being that most people rather wants to "play with
new features", so to speak, than do the boring footwork needed for a
release (at least, that's my recollection of the thread, two years ago
or so; sorry if I'm misrepresenting).

Basically I think that Richard is right about what would happen, but
I'm also cynical enough to see that people often try to do what they
want to do, one way or another: and the "success" of the feature
freeze seems (to me, anyway) like enough proof of it. I, for one, am
not sure anymore what is a new feature and what is not, because it
seems to me (but I'm not keeping an account, it's just a gut feeling)
that new user options and featurettes are committed day after day
after day.

So again: please, let's fork, and be *very* strict about what goes
into the release branch. If people want to do fruit salad or, as Jason
puts it, "technicolor blinking" on the trunk, at least we'll have
another couple years or five before the next major release to see
things through and reach consensus.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u