Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:26:16 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The idea of having mouse-1-clock-follows-link activated by default
> is to make it easier for beginners accustomed to web browsers

Not only web browsers: GUI applications in general.  In every other
GUI application I can think of, mouse-1 is used for clicking buttons.

> more than to text editors, and maybe that makes sense, but we
> shouldn't overstate this case either: the number of users we can
> expect to win thanks to this minor detail is likely to be
> vanishingly small.  It's not like the mouse-2-follows-link
> convention is the only "unusual" UI aspect of Emacs.

Certainly not, but it is a major one.  In the same awkward way that vi
is a text editor that doesn't respond to typing text, Emacs is a GUI
application that doesn't respond to clicking buttons.

> So maybe turning it on for a handful of cases makes sense.
> And keeping a more intrusive option may also make sense for people
> whose system makes it hard to generate a mouse-2 event.

I believe this includes most PC systems (correct me if I'm wrong).

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>