Re: enriched-mode problems

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: enriched-mode problems
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:07:05 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> If I put
>
>   Local Variables:
>   mode: enriched
>   End:
>
> into a file and I load it into Emacs, I get the message
>
>   Toggling enriched-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
>
> Why?

I did a quick analysis:

When you save a file with enriched minor mode on, it inserts

at the top of the file.  The next time you load it, this text turns
enriched mode on.  Then the "mode: enriched" at the end of the file
switches it off again.  Not using the "mode: enriched" local variable
probably solves your problem.

I've got the same problem with auto-fill sometimes.  I switch that
mode on with text-mode-hook.  When I visit a text file that has "mode:
auto-fill", it is effectively turned off.  Maybe we should do
(some-minor-mode 1) for "mode: some-minor-mode" constructs.

Lute.