Re: Threads in emacs implementation

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Threads in emacs implementation
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:26:29 +0900

On 6/16/05, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Do you mean that if a user
> changes variable A in thread 1, he expects thread 2 to also notice the
> change for certain global variables?  That's easy to do, if you
> consider that such global variables are few and far between compared
> to local per-thread variables.

This is not really true for typical elisp programs -- global variables
(especially buffer-local global variables) are used extremely often,
and in almost every case must be "truly global" (visible in all
threads).

However, if a global variable is let-bound, the let-binding should of
course be thread-local.

My personal feeling is that it may be easiest to simply move to a
deep-binding system for elisp (and ideally use lexical-binding for
local variables), but such a change may be a lot of work given the
myriad special varieties of variable bindings (buffer-local etc).

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.