[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Diff mode faces
Re: Diff mode faces
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:34:28 +0200
> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:47:05 +0300
> The default diff face used to highlight changed lines on tty
> (magenta/yellow bold italic) makes an indigestible fruit salad.
In your opinion, perhaps. These faces are there since 5 years ago,
and I don't recall anyone complaining.
> OTOH, the same face has no highlighting under X. This makes
> sense, because changed lines are the primary text in diff files
> that doesn't need special highlighting.
They need highlighting to stand out against the unchanged lines.
Since most tty's don't have too many colors, they cannot make use of
the technique similar to what we do on X, which is to dim the context
lines by using light-grey colors for them.
> I propose instead of highlighting whole lines on tty to use at least
> the same approach as introduced recently for comments on tty to highlight
> only comment delimiters in new face font-lock-comment-delimiter-face.
> Similarly, only diff indicators (the first character of the line) could
> be highlighted in diff buffers on tty.
I don't think this is a good idea to make such a change. Certainly
not now, before a release. Haven't we already seen enough trouble
from this comment-delimiter face innovation?
Anyway, the results look IMHO ugly. Partial highlighting of lines
generally looks ugly, and this case is no exception.
(I could never understand the urge to modify the default colors. If
you dislike the defaults, customize the faces and be done with them.)
- Diff mode faces, Juri Linkov, 2005/06/17
- Re: Diff mode faces,
Eli Zaretskii <=
- Re: Diff mode faces, Juri Linkov, 2005/06/18
- Re: Diff mode faces, Randal L. Schwartz, 2005/06/18
- Re: Diff mode faces, Eli Zaretskii, 2005/06/18
- Re: Diff mode faces, Juri Linkov, 2005/06/19
- Re: Diff mode faces, Eli Zaretskii, 2005/06/19
- Re: Diff mode faces, Juri Linkov, 2005/06/20
- Re: Diff mode faces, Eli Zaretskii, 2005/06/20
- Background mode (was: Diff mode faces), Juri Linkov, 2005/06/21
- Re: Background mode, Juri Linkov, 2005/06/26
- Re: Background mode, Richard M. Stallman, 2005/06/27