Re: Diff mode faces

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Diff mode faces
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:10:14 -0500 (CDT)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   > Juri> Yellow foreground works well for context lines.
   >
   > Except when you normally read black on white.

   For quite a long time (most likely from the time when color translation
   was implemented for tty) colors of context lines in diff mode on tty
   were yellow for light backgrounds.  There are also other faces with
   yellow foreground for light backgrounds, like font-lock-variable-name-face.
   Nobody complained about them so far.  So maybe yellow is the acceptable
   color for context lines.

I remember seeing people complain that they have trouble reading
yellow on white _many_ times on this list.  I know of many people who
have trouble reading red on black.  I have trouble with both and I
have even more problems reading cyan on white.  I do not complain, I
just always turn colors off on tty's.

When discussing colors one has to realize that it depends very much on
individual eyesight, as well as on the monitor setting and plenty of
other factors.  Not everybody with an abnormal color vision is aware
that they have abnormal color vision.

It is not easy (probably hopeless) to support people with abnormal
color vision while picking default colors (other than only using black
on white or vice versa), since variation among people with abnormal
color vision is so large.

Sincerely,

Luc.