Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:19:43 +0900

On 6/21/05, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Another possible renaming I forgot to mention is "Split Window". The
> > window is not split to result in a single window with a
> > divider.
>
> I do not agree. "Split Window" is in my opinion a very good
> description of what that command does.

Indeed.  Morever, it gives important information about the way the
command works (which something like "new window" would _not_ do, and
might actually be more confusing for that reason).

Remember, the goal is not to be perfectly consistent with other apps,
merely to provide a reasonable compromise that will help users of
other apps adapt quickly and painlessly to emacs, and hopefully lead
to them becoming skillful users of Emacs.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.