Re: Custom themes

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Custom themes
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:25:27 -0500 (CDT)

After _trying_ to use Custom themes, it seems totally obvious that
this is a completely unfinished package, completely unready to be used
or documented in its present form.  One obvious problem is a total
lack of documentation at any level.  That is bad enough, but there is
way worse.  In its current form, it has serious bugs.  I still do not
know what `customize-create-theme' is _trying_ to do (the buffers it
creates look incomplete, unfinished, and are of no help in trying to
figure this out).  But, by experimentation, I was able to figure out
what it currently actually does: it writes files into random
directories all over your file system without warning.  Anybody who
uses Custom themes in its current form had better also know how to use
Find to find all those files back.  If you use a command like
`customize-create-theme', you _assume_ it is going to automatically
write files into the directory in which they belong, not simply into
the current directory.

To me, this appears to be Emacs 23 or 24 stuff, assuming somebody
would be willing to finish it: thoroughly document it at all levels,
greatly improve the user interface and get rid of the bugs.

Sincerely,

Luc.