Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:46:31 -0400

I've now read all the mail in this thread, and here are my conclusions.

    1. Unsplit Windows is a very poor name. It doesn't give you a hint of what
    it does; in particular, it doesn't suggest that the current window is the
    only one that will remain displayed.

I agree this name is sort of confusing.  I do not see any obvious
right name, but I came up with Absorb Other Windows, which I think is
pretty clear.  I have been trying to think of other verbs, but I can't
find one that is entirely right.  "Devour"?  "Ingest"?  "Conquer"?

    a. Currently, there is an inconsistency wrt "Buffer" and "(current buffer)".
    These should be made consistent, since the same thing (the current buffer)
    is involved in each case.

I agree that that is inconsistent.  It does not seem to be a useful
distinction, as currently made.  So I propose to remove "Buffer" from
well-known operations, and leave it in names of operations that are
unusual or where it contrasts with "Region".

Here are the changes I propose to make.

People pointed out that "New File" might be confusing
since it does not in fact make a new file.  I think the name
"Visit New File" will help show that this isn't the same as the usual
"New File" operation.

Please write to me if you see a problem with these changes, or want to
suggest an alteration in one of these changes.

*** menu-bar.el 17 Jun 2005 09:37:17 -0400      1.260
--- menu-bar.el 25 Jun 2005 19:15:51 -0400
***************
*** 99,111 ****
              :help "Open a new frame"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [one-window]
!   '(menu-item "Unsplit Windows" delete-other-windows
              :enable (not (one-window-p t nil))
!             :help "Make selected window fill its frame"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [split-window]
    '(menu-item "Split Window" split-window-vertically
!             :help "Split selected window in two"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [separator-window]
    '(menu-item "--"))
--- 99,111 ----
              :help "Open a new frame"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [one-window]
!   '(menu-item "Absorb Other Windows" delete-other-windows
              :enable (not (one-window-p t nil))
!             :help "Selected window swallows all windows in the frame"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [split-window]
    '(menu-item "Split Window" split-window-vertically
!             :help "Split selected window in two windows"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [separator-window]
    '(menu-item "--"))
***************
*** 159,170 ****
                                         (current-buffer))))))
              :help "Re-read current buffer from its file"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [write-file]
!   '(menu-item "Save Buffer As..." write-file
              :enable (not (window-minibuffer-p
                            (frame-selected-window menu-updating-frame)))
              :help "Write current buffer to another file"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [save-buffer]
!   '(menu-item "Save (current buffer)" save-buffer
              :enable (and (buffer-modified-p)
                           (buffer-file-name)
                           (not (window-minibuffer-p
--- 159,170 ----
                                         (current-buffer))))))
              :help "Re-read current buffer from its file"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [write-file]
!   '(menu-item "Save As..." write-file
              :enable (not (window-minibuffer-p
                            (frame-selected-window menu-updating-frame)))
              :help "Write current buffer to another file"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [save-buffer]
!   '(menu-item "Save" save-buffer
              :enable (and (buffer-modified-p)
                           (buffer-file-name)
                           (not (window-minibuffer-p
***************
*** 175,183 ****
    '(menu-item "--"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [kill-buffer]
!   '(menu-item "Close (current buffer)" kill-this-buffer
              :enable (kill-this-buffer-enabled-p)
!             :help "Discard current buffer"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [insert-file]
    '(menu-item "Insert File..." insert-file
              :enable (not (window-minibuffer-p
--- 175,183 ----
    '(menu-item "--"))

  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [kill-buffer]
!   '(menu-item "Close" kill-this-buffer
              :enable (kill-this-buffer-enabled-p)
!             :help "Discard (kill) current buffer"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [insert-file]
    '(menu-item "Insert File..." insert-file
              :enable (not (window-minibuffer-p
***************
*** 194,200 ****
                            (frame-selected-window menu-updating-frame)))
              :help "Read an existing file into an Emacs buffer"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [new-file]
!   '(menu-item "New File..." find-file
              :enable (not (window-minibuffer-p
                            (frame-selected-window menu-updating-frame)))
              :help "Read or create a file and edit it"))
--- 194,200 ----
                            (frame-selected-window menu-updating-frame)))
              :help "Read an existing file into an Emacs buffer"))
  (define-key menu-bar-file-menu [new-file]
!   '(menu-item "Visit New File..." find-file