Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:38:12 -0400

    FWIW, I see nothing wrong with "Unsplit".  At least one other GUI
    program uses "Remove split", which is very similar; if that is better,
    let's use it.

It isn't better a priori, but if it is widely used and lots of people
would have seen it, that would make it better.  What other programs
use "Remove split"?

    How about "Only One Window"?

I think that is better than just "One Window".  The word "Only"
carries the implication of getting rid of the rest.  Or maybe "Just
This Window", which indicates that the selected window is the
one that will remain.

What do people think of "Just This Window"?

    >"One Window" (my original suggestion) says just as much.
    >
    >My other original suggestion, "Delete Other Windows" is clearest: the
    >command just deletes the other windows.

    Maximize?

"Maximize" is associated with frames, so people would get the wrong
idea.