Re: Fixing the face menu

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Fixing the face menu
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:47:39 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> The faces menu automatically lists all faces that are defined
> except those whose names are matched by facemenu-unlisted-faces.
> I am pretty sure that list is not up to date, and that various
> packages define faces that shouldn't be listed in the menu
> but currently do get listed.
>
> We could go through all deffaces and update the value of
> facemenu-unlisted-faces, but can we do something cleaner that will
> require less maintenance?  For instance, list in each defface
> whether to include it in the face menu?  Or list in each defface
> if it should NOT be included in the face menu?

Specifying all faces that shouldn't be listed (by means of
facemenu-unlisted-faces) is not feasible.  Every (external) lisp
package can define faces which should not be listed.  We can never
anticipate the names of these faces.

[We could introduce a variable facemenu-listed-faces that specifies
the names of faces that should be listed in the menu.  That would
probably give better results.]

I think that if we add an option to defface that can specify whether
to add it to the face menu or not, that option should be optional and
default to not as most faces should not be added to the face menu.

Lute.