Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:36:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:33:47 -0700
>> With all due respect, don't get nasty.
> If you get arrogant, I get nasty.

We don't need an arms' race in escalation.

>> If you take the (arrogant?) point of view that we have already
>> achieved the "best of all possible worlds" because lots of
>> discussion, research, experimentation, and expertise went into the
>> existing design, then yes, it's futile not only to suggest
>> repeating a past state but also to suggest any other changes.
> Not everything in Emacs is based on such an effort.  The current
> menu structure is.  I never said that it's the best of all possible
> arrangements, but the fact that we changed it from A to B does mean
> that the merits and demerits of A vs B were already considered and
> after a long and constructive discussion we concluded that B is
> better.  So going back to A without at least pointing out where the
> previous considerations were incorrect is a regression (a negative
> label) that wastes our valuable time and energy, and on top of that
> threatens to set us back 5 or 6 years.

Well, Drew is right that not every change is progress, but unless a
change has produced new insights or new information is volunteered, I
agree that the difference is not likely to merit wasting considerable
time discussing it.

We have other areas that are clearly quite more in need of further