Re: Screen reader detection broken [Was: Re: Windows Emacs and screen re

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Screen reader detection broken [Was: Re: Windows Emacs and screen readers]
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:17:28 +0200

> Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:50:54 +0100 (BST)
> From: Nikhil Nair <address@hidden>
>
> However, if it's supposed to be autodetecting screen readers, this isn't
> working at all: I had to add (setq w32-use-visible-system-caret t) to my
> .emacs.
>
> Although I don't really use it any more, I have a version of Window-Eyes
> (another popular screen reader) from a couple of years ago (as opposed to
> my version of JAWS, which is up to date).  Emacs wasn't able to autodetect
> this, either.

If you tell us what are the possible ways to autodetect screen
readers, it's possible that we will teach Emacs to turn that option on
automatically when a screen reader is active.

Please note that to do the right thing, it is not enough to detect
that a screen reader is installed: Emacs should find out whether it is
actually active for the current user.

TIA