Re: AltGr finger twisters documented? - bug in keyboard handling?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: AltGr finger twisters documented? - bug in keyboard handling?
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:37:20 +0200

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

Yes, it surely changes things. I can for example not type \ at all if I
set this to nil. So setting this to nil gives me a completely new
keyboard layout which I do not think is useful at all.

Exactly. With `w32-recognize-altgr' set to nil there's no way I can
type C-\, because there's no way I can type \ directly.

I am starting to think I see some bugs here. One, rathter trivial bug, concerns the documentation. It says

   w32-recognize-altgr's value is t

   Recognize right-alt and left-ctrl as AltGr.
   When nil, the right-alt and left-ctrl key combination is
   interpreted normally.

   Defined in `C source code'.

I can not see that left-ctrl works as AltGr. That is good, I would not want it to, but the doc string should be changed I believe.

The other, more serious thing, is that different keyboards seems to behave differently. They are not supposed to do that I guess. Or am I wrong for some reason?

Another serious problem, probably related to this, is that some key combinations, like C-@ are very hard or even impossible to type.

Maybe all this just relates to w32? Anyway it would be very good if it was fixed before release!