Re: Incorrect indentation after :name

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Incorrect indentation after :name
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 20:30:37 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     If I understood correctly, it would misindent quoted lists whose first
>     element is a function.  Lists of functions are not rare (hooks, for
>     example).
>
> The incorrect indentation in those cases won't be horrible.
>
> However, if we can develop a good convention for distinguishing the
> two cases (quoted code, and quoted non-code), we could get the right
> results every time.

I'd somewhat visually prefer
   '( function and function )
vs '(function of something)

I seems more readable than your proposal
   '(function and function)
   ' (function of something)
and it also does not need to also take a look at ` and maybe even
(quote ...) (which is the rendition of printed Lisp expressions).

Of course, this proposal has the disadvantage that the probably more
common case of a function (or non-function!) list needs extra
formatting, so it is probably not useful in practice.

However, if we _combine_ both proposals with an added criterion, we
might arrive at the following rule set:

'( func and func ) is a list in any context
' (func of something) is a quoted function call in any context
'(func maybe) is a list, except in macro definitions where it is a
quoted function.

Maybe this is too complicated.