Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:03:37 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>>>There are several reasons I think. One reason is that installing new
>>>programs should not change system overall behaviour.
>>>

>>Then why install them in the first place?
>>

> I am sorry but this does not make sense.

Why bother to install software if it is not intended to make any
difference?

>>>Whatever we think of that this is the w32 way and to integrate in
>>>the w32 environment as first class citizens this must be accepted.
>>
>>It is not a goal for Emacs to be a first class w32 citizen.  The
>>goal for Emacs on Windows is to be as good an Emacs as elsewhere.
>
> I found this comment worth noting. The meaning of what you are
> writing here is not self evident. It must be further developed to be
> useful.
>
> One thing to think about is for example "what do users on different
> system require of the programs they are using?". Even if users are
> not explicitly mentioned in your statement they are of course
> implicitly.

We are not bothered about Windows users.  We are bothered about Emacs
users.  Making Emacs a first class w32 application is not a project
goal.  Making w32 a first class Emacs platform might be one.  It may
not have the same priority as other operating systems, but as long as
somebody is willing to do the work, there is no principal problem as
far as I can see.