Re: Turn on longlines in text modes [patch]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Turn on longlines in text modes [patch]
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:48:49 -0400 (EDT)

>> The reason longlines-wrap-follows-window-size is nil by default is
>> that it can produce unexpected behavior when the buffer is
>> simultaneously displayed in two windows with different widths.
>
> There are several ways out of that one, I guess.  One is to allow
> settings of 'min and 'current (with the obvious implications).

Good idea.  I'll see what I can do.

> another would be to use window-local display properties for letting
> spaces display as newlines (and newlines as spaces) when some window
> has a different width.

I've actually tried implementing something like this before.  It works,
but there are more side effects than in the current longlines
implementation.  The C-a and C-e commands go to the beginning and end of
the long lines instead of screen lines, which is correct but not useful,
so they would have to be modified before this mode can work properly.
Since there's interest, I'll see if I can iron out the problems, and post
a longlines-2-mode for people to try out.