Re: Emacs and proxy on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs and proxy on w32
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:29:37 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Jason, but maybe I was not explicit enough. My main (implicit)
> question was why I have to specify an URL proxy server to Emacs today
> on w32. I do not fully understand how these things work. But I guess
> winsock knows about the proxy servers and how to handle proxy for a
> specific URL?

Winsock knows nothing about proxy servers or high level protocols like
HTTP. It is the Windows perversion of the BSD socket API.

> It seems to be very difficult to handle URL proxy if not winsock does
> not automatically find and use the proxy server.

Why should it be difficult? You configure it, just like in any other
program that uses proxies. Unfortunately Emacs does not have an
ECMAscript implementation, so pointing it at an auto configuration
script is not going to be an option like it is with modern
webbrowsers.