Re: Emacs and proxy on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs and proxy on w32
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:39:23 +0200

Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

Hi Lennart,

Lennart Borgman writes:
But how do you get the name of the proxy server to use for a specif
URL then?

You don't.  That is unless you write your own script in ELisp.

Don't you have to find the ECMAscript and execute it?

Javascript/ECMAscript is a feature of some browsers.  It is *not* a
feature of all those other programs that can otherwise do HTTP fine,
and even a fair number of browsers don't have it.  If you want to
seriously support more than IE and Mozilla, Javascript proxy scripts
are useless.
Thanks Benny,

I did not believe it was such a mess. I did expect it to be something that the OS provided. I just thought that I could not find it.

While looking more at this I found that MS actually are providing an API (WinHttpGetProxyForUrl) for this now on XP and W2k. This should perhaps be rather simple to call on w32 to give Emacs the possibility to handle HTTP proxies.

However of course we want Emacs to have this power on GNU/Linux too! I believe that GNU/Linux should benefit from having an API like WinHttpGetProxyForUrl. Maybe it does have it already? Otherwise are not the capabilities for this in the Mozilla code? Are there code that code be copied to GNU/Linux perhaps? (Where should a suggestion like this go?)