Re: address@hidden: mailclient.el - revised]

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: address@hidden: mailclient.el - revised]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:34:34 +0100

On 24 Jul 2005, at 15:46, Lennart Borgman wrote:

However it should not depend on the mail client used. In w32 there is a problem with the parameter length when passing the URL to w32. I have done a workaround placing data on the clipboard. Otherwise (browse-url ...) for the "mailto:..."; URL is used just as in your original code.

I don't think placing data on the clipboard and asking the user to copy it over would be the ideal solution. Using MAPI (instead of mailclient) seems to be the correct way to do things on Windows. The reason that I didn't propose mailclient as default on Win originally was exactly what you said: I heard that the URL length is limited, at least under certain circumstances.

I guess it would be best to not use mailclient as default on Windows and hope that someone (you?) will implement MAPI functionality... If people use a variety of Win / a URL client that supports long URLs, they can still set the send-mail-function to mailclient.