codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:57:43 +0200

[ From `bug-gnu-emacs'...]

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The node you quoted is from an appendix that describes the MS-DOS port
> of Emacs, which uses codepage.el.  On other systems, Emacs uses a
> different implementation of code pages, the one from code-pages.el.

On GNU/Linux, Emacs autoloads window-12xx.  I.e. if Gnus displays an
article with charset=window-12xx, all characters are displayed
correctly.  Sometimes people use charset=cp850 or need to edit files
encoded in cpNNN.  After `M-x codepages-setup RET NNN RET' the coding
system is available.  But etc/NEWS says "`codepage-setup' is now
obsolete".  What is the correct way to setup cpNNN?

Does it make sense to add autoload statements like this (in
`codepage.el'?)?

  (autoload-coding-system 'cpNNN '(codepage-setup NNN))

Or maybe do it for all supported codepages:

(mapc (lambda (cp)
        (setq cp (string-to-number (car cp)))
        (autoload-coding-system (intern (format "cp%s" cp))
                                `(codepage-setup ,cp)))
      (cp-supported-codepages))

Bye, Reiner.
--