Re: Updating autoloads

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Updating autoloads
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:04:54 +0300

> Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:43:10 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> On my machine updating autoloads takes only a fraction of a second.
> On slower machines, it maybe could take a few seconds, but that may be
> worth avoiding periodic problems.

Please let's not do that: updating autoloads can take _much_more_ than
a few seconds on slower machines.  When was the last time you did that
on a 400-MHz or 600-MHz box?

This issue is only relevant for people who use the CVS code.  Those
people should be knowledgeable enough to run "make autoloads" when
necessary.  Even if you yourself bump into this once in a while, it's
not a reason to make this change.

Let's not modify the build system except when we find _real_ bugs,
preferably not at all in targets that are only relevant to building
out of CVS.  Let's postpone that until after the release.