Re: read_processs_output on closing network servers

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: read_processs_output on closing network servers
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:46:02 +0200

> Closing a datagram server hangs up Emacs (at least on Windows), on the
> call to recvfrom() on read_process_output() (process.c ~ 4799).

So it never returns from the recvfrom call?

Is this actually the only time you see emacs hanging there?

I would guess that if it can hang in that case, you can device other
cases (combining more processes) that would make it hang there in case
any process changes state...

> Now, I understand the need of calling status_notify() on closing a
> server process (as any other process), but I'm not sure I understand
> why status_notify() must in turn call read_process_output() while
> *closing* network server processes.

In what way is the network server process closed?

I agree that using delete-process should not call read_process_output
for the deleted process.  I just installed a change to avoid that.