writing an elisp interface to a c library

From: James Cloos
Subject: writing an elisp interface to a c library
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:44:04 -0400

Can anyone point me to a good example in the emacs codebase of a lisp
api that closely matches an existing external c api?  So far I've only
hacked the elisp part of emacs, not the C....

I presume I'll need to create some read-only lisp integers matching
the names of the various enum values, lisp objects to hold the (opaque)
structs the lib uses and DEFUNs to match the lib's api?  I have read
the primitives section of the elisp manual, but which src files are
the best to study?

(As I see it, the lib's api is such that it can be mapped to lisp w/o
diverging from its C look and feel.  Following that api very closely,
then, seems to be the Right Thing To Do.  Being able to write all of
the higher-level code using the lib in elisp is enticing.)

I'm primarily targetting the emacs-unicode-2 branch for this project,
if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

-JimC
--