Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:42:17 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm), address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:15:00 -0400
>
> > So, to me it sounds like we do something very similar to what you
> > described, with 2 notable exceptions: the change in mouse pointer
> > shape, and the fact that the help text is not displayed in a tooltip.
> > Am I missing something?
>
> I partly agree except that there's yet another difference: Emacs's
> describe-key will give you some information about the click you just did,
> not about the place you clicked.  I.e. if you left-click on the mode-line it
> won't tell you what the mode-line is/does and what a right-click would
> have done.

That's not true, AFAICS.  Here's one random example (from Internet
Explorer's "Internet Options" dialog).  Click "?", then click on the
"Delete Cookies" button in the "General" tab, and you see this text in
the tooltip that pops:

  Click this to delete all cookies from your machine

  A cookie is a file created by a Web site that stores information
  on your computer, such as your preferences when visiting that site.

  For more information about cookies see Internet Explorer Help.

This definitely tells you about what the button does, not what it is.