Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "What's This?" in Describe submenu
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:56:11 -0400

> Now, I agree that what we say sounds not very clear (to say the least)
> to a newbie, but I think we do mean to target newbies as well, and
> that therefore we should work on making the doc string more
> newbie-friendly.  But I'm repeating myself...

I've several times hesitated when writing a docstring: should it document
the function or the command.
The more typical problem is whether to refer to ARG, BEG, END or to
\\[universal-argument], and the region.
Maybe we should make i possible to provide two separate docstrings, one for
the function and one for the command.

        Stefan