Re: compile.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: compile.el
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:28:44 +0300

>     But it has another more severe bug: visiting a file
>     in a compilation subdirectory extracted from the line
>     `make: Entering directory ...' doesn't work anymore.
>
> Can you send me a precise test case for this?  Then I will debug it.

Find a file in one of the lisp subdirectories (e.g. `progmodes') that
produces a warning/error, or artificially cause a warning/error by
putting garbage in .el files.  Then at the top directory of Emacs
source tree, call `M-x compile' with the command:

make -C lisp EMACS=../src/emacs recompile

After that, trying to visit a file with warnings/errors from the line like

  In toplevel form:
  progmodes/grep.el:1:1:Warning: reference to free variable `foo'

doesn't find the location of `progmodes/grep.el'.

Without the patch you sent in one of the previous messages, compile.el
was able to extract the directory name from the string:

  make: Entering directory `{absolute directory of source tree}/emacs/lisp'

and use it even for files located in subdirectories of `emacs/lisp'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/