Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: Release timelines and Unicode2 branch
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:52:42 +0200

Emilio Lopes <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe you could report your experience so far, so that others with the
> motivation need not to go all the process for themselves again.

Sure.  In a nutshell, the optional part of the regular expression
sometimes doesn't match even when there is an echoed
`shell-dirstack-query' command, so the command is considered to be the
directory list.  (The change we installed back in 2003 was to add this
optional part.)  Depending on the state of your shell buffer (what
previous shell commands returned, etc), things sometimes work as
intended.

I have yet to understand why it doesn't match in some cases.  Beware
that doing things under edebug will change things subtly in a way that
any fix you might find won't work in the normal case (without edebug).
Also, in my case stepping in the function made Emacs hang when reaching
this line:

      (while (not (looking-at
                   (concat "\\(" ; skip literal echo in case of stty echo
                           (regexp-quote shell-dirstack-query)
                           "\n\\)?" ; skip if present
                           "\\(" ".+\n" "\\)")) ) ; what to actually look for
=>      (accept-process-output proc)
        (goto-char pt)))

Reaching `proc' sends Emacs in an infinite loop, C-g C-g escapes it but
also stops the edebug session.

Good luck!

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | All you've been is a piece of