Re: Shall we use etc/images more?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Shall we use etc/images more?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:51:24 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:23:21 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Shortening the file names makes it easier to be 8.3 compliant, and is
> > essential in the images above.
>
> Does emacs support images on any of the 8.3 limited systems?

It doesn't, but that's not the issue.  The issue is that if we have in
the Emacs distro files whose names clash after 8+3 truncation, then
Emacs distribution cannot be unpacked on such a filesystem without, at
best, troubling questions being asked by the unpacking utility, and at
worst overwriting files without notice.