Re: Fringes

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Fringes
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 18:27:26 +1300

 >     If a buffer uses the default left fringe width, the variable
 >     left-fringe-width is nil while the function window-fringes returns
 >     information about the fringes of a window.  So there appears to be
 >     no way to determine the fringe width of a buffer that is not
 >     currently displayed.
 >
 > What does it mean to speak of the "fringe width of a buffer that is
 > not currently displayed"?

You're right, it doesn't mean anything, the fringe width will depend on
the frame that it's displayed in.

 > If it means the fringe width that would be in effect if that buffer is
 > displayed in a window, then if left-fringe-width is nil in that
 > buffer, it should use the default.  So couldn't you just use the
 > default value?

I assumed that all frames have the same fringe width, which was previously
true by default, so I didn't notice a problem.  The default value for the
speedbar is 0 now, which isn't generally what I want.

 > That ought to be easy, so if you think this problem is hard, perhaps I
 > have missed the point.

If the buffers that hold breakpoint icons are visible, it's straightforward.
If they are not visible then I'm not sure what to do.

Nick