Re: User option dnd-open-file-other-window has no effect

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: User option dnd-open-file-other-window has no effect
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:06:44 +0200

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
    There is a user option, dnd-open-file-other-window, which should
    control the behaviour of drag-n-dropping files onto an Emacs frame.
    I customized it to t...
    However, that had no effect. :-(

If the code in x-dnd-drop-data is going to always bind
this variable, then it is useless to make it customizable.

Yes, that was the main point of my bug report ;-)

There are two cases: dropping in a specific window, and dropping
elsewhere on the frame. Perhaps we should change one of those two cases NOT to bind dnd-open-file-other-window,
or change it somehow.

Which is the case that you want to customize?

Hmm, initially I had only thought of dropping in a specific window and wanted
to customize that.  Only now I realize that dropping on, e.g., the titlebar
makes
a difference.  I would suggest to change the first case (dropping in a window)
not to let x-dnd-drop-data bind dnd-open-file-other-window.

There is also a special case which I see now.  Dropping in the minibuffer gives
an error:

Error: (error Cannot switch buffers in minibuffer window)

In that case, x-dnd-drop-data should probably bind dnd-open-file-other-window
to t.

--
 Sven Joachim