Re: filling bug in text-mode

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: filling bug in text-mode
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:34:11 +0200 (CEST)

>     The patch below fixes the bug.  It assumes that more than one
>     successive periods should allow breaking even if they are
>     followed by just one space.
>
> That's not correct--it SHOULD demand two spaces or a newline, after
> three periods, just as it does after one period.

This was my first reaction too, but after some thinking I can't
imagine a situation where you *really* want to prevent a line break
after two or periods.  The very reason to suppress line breaking is
only to have a correct handling of abbreviated names like J. User.
IMHO we should consider the case `period/question mark/exclamation
mark + single space' as the exception which prevents a break, and
everything else should allow it.  Doing the opposite (this is,
always insist on two spaces after those punctuation marks) appears
unnatural to me.

    Werner