Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:06:42 +0200

Hello,

I'll try to summarize what has been discussed in this thread. (You can
find the whole thread under
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/41032>.)

The following things were proposed/discussed:

1. Change `tooltip-hide-delay' (the display time of tooltips) from 10
   seconds to 4 seconds.

   Suggested by me, Frank Schmitt and Drew Adams agreed, but met a lot
   of resistance after that. It was changed from 5 seconds to 10
   seconds in October 2001, see
   <URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2001-10/msg00379.html>.

2. Scale the tooltip face to 75 %.

   Suggested by Andreas Schwab, tested by me, I suggested 80 %, but
   Lennart, Drew and Stefan want to keep the current size (100 %).

3. Reduce the `padding' of the tooltips, i. e. change
   `(internal-border-width . 5)' in `tooltip-frame-parameters' to 2.

   Suggested by me and supported by Drew, Frank, Lennart, and Richard.
   Jason said one should check how GNOME does this and follow them,
   but Richard answered that it is not necessary to follow GNOME.

4. Placement of tooltips above or below mouse pointer?

   Most other applications place the tooltip below the mouse, but
   David has a point when he writes "it is a reasonable guess that I
   have already read the stuff above the mouse point, but not yet
   below" and thus prefers the current behaviour.

My conclusion from this is that it is best to keep almost everything
as it is, except for point 3, the `padding' of the tooltips. No one
was against that change.

Can this be changed?

Regards,
--