Re: filling bug in text-mode

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: filling bug in text-mode
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:42:31 -0400

    >     The patch below fixes the bug.  It assumes that more than one
    >     successive periods should allow breaking even if they are
    >     followed by just one space.
    >
    > That's not correct--it SHOULD demand two spaces or a newline, after
    > three periods, just as it does after one period.

    This was my first reaction too, but after some thinking I can't
    imagine a situation where you *really* want to prevent a line break
    after two or periods.

We're talking about what sentence-end should match; that is to say,
where M-e should stop.

It should stop after an ellipsis if the ellipsis is followed by two
spaces or a newline.  An ellipsis followed by just one space is not
the end of a sentence.

As for filling, it does not break the line after a period
followed by one space, because doing so would make it appear
to be the end of a sentence.