Re: Yet another emacs icons

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Yet another emacs icons
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:04:55 +0900

I think all of your icons are very pretty, but I liked the earlier
"notebook" versions much better -- it seems like a notebook conveys
the generic idea of editor, and the E/horns add an easily recognizable
"tag" to tell you it's Emacs[*].  I think adding the word "emacs" to
the icon is pretty useless except at huge icon sizes, and merely
muddles up the icon at small sizes.

So my requests:  Add back the "notebook".  Get rid of the word "Emacs"
in small sizes (anything less than 64x64 really).

However _any_ of these new icons is better than the old Gnu/mushroom
icon -- now I see that old icon at about 16x16 size in my taskbar, and
it looks basically like a piece of lint!  The original image is far
too detailed to ever be very useful as an icon i think.

[*] Of course someone who doesn't use emacs won't know what the
crooked horns mean -- but so what?  Icons are not really any good at
introducing new concept anyway.  They are much more useful for
_recognition_ than documentation.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.