Re: Amendments in calc-units.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Amendments in calc-units.el
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:15:35 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> 2005/10/19, David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> It's too long to enter already.  It would be an idea to offer all TeX
>> dimensions with t prefixed:
>> Seems like this scheme is not feasible, either.
>
> I does seem interesting, and would be much more practical if you just
> used "tex" as a prefix instead of "t".  [I don't think "texpt" is
> annoying long to type, and it's _much_ more clear and much less likely
> to conflict...]

I'd hope that the prefix would be removed at least when yanking and
pasting in TeX mode.

The units in question are

pt = 100:7227 in  (point)
in = 254:100 cm   (inch)
pc = 12pt         (pica)
cm
mm
bp = 1:72 in      (big point, same as PostScript's idea of point)
dd = 1238:1157pt  (Didot point)
cc = 12dd         (cicero)
sp = 1:65536 pt   (scaled TeX point, smallest representable dimension
                   in TeX)

TeX also has dimensions ex and em, but those depend on the current
font size.