Re: compress files patch for mac/make-package

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compress files patch for mac/make-package
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:01:47 +0200

> From: Romain Francoise <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:16:25 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Would you like to change `make install' to compress the
> > .el files?
>
> Ok, I'll do that in a few days' time in case someone objects to the
> change.

I suggest that we be careful and conservative here.

First, there are some .el files that don't have a corresponding .elc
file; I think such .el file should not be compressed, since then Emacs
will not work without gzip being available.

Second, I think this compression should not be done on non-Posix
systems where gzip is not available.

And third, I think that we should not compress as part of tarring the
distribution.