Re: Saving minibuffer history

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Saving minibuffer history
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:25:53 -0400

>> I now understand and I think it's a good change.  It basically saves
>> *all* minibuffer histories, which is exactly the effect I wanted to
>> achieve back when I wrote the file.  Thanks for improving it.

> There is one problem, though: any customization of
> savehist-history-variables now removes the saving of minibuffer
> histories, doesn't it?  This means that, with your change, it is not
> easy to just add one variable which you want to persist across Emacs
> sessions.

Indeed.  The interaction between savehist-history-variables and
savehist-all-history-variables was chosen arbitrarily.  Feel free to
change it.

BTW, I didn't think that savehist-history-variables was meant to also allow
savnig non-history variables.  At least the savehist-length makes it
unusable for some (admittedly probably rare) variables.

        Stefan