Recent symbol-file changes vs. help functions

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Recent symbol-file changes vs. help functions
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:08:11 +0200

A few days ago, load-history was changed to hold absolute file names
instead of library names.  `symbol-file' was subsequently changed to
return absolute file names, too.

Because of this, the output of `describe-function' differs depending on
whether the symbol is autoloaded or not because we use `symbol-file' in
the first case, and loaddefs.el in the other.

E.g.:

,----[ C-h f viper-mode RET ]
`----

,----[ C-h f ignore RET ]
| ignore is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`/home/romain/Work/Repos/Emacs/emacs/lisp/subr.elc'.
`----

There are probably other inconsistencies.  I think we should convert the
absolute file name back into a library name in help functions.

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | I used to think there is no
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | future left at all.